Luis Correa Marquez(787) 474-0267 email@example.com
- Universidad Antonio de Nebrija – PhD. (Sobresaliente-Cum Laude)
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid Law School, Advance Studies Diploma (DEA)
- United Nations University (UNU/ILA) Amman, Jordan – (Postgraduate Certificate) The New York University School of Law – Master of Laws (LL.M.)
- Inter-American University of Puerto Rico School of Law – Juris Doctor (Cum Laude) Pontificia Universidad Católica de Puerto Rico
- Puerto Rico
- (2017) “Leadership in Puerto Rico”, Universidad Antonio de Nebrija, Madrid, Spain. Pending publication.
- (2003) “Leadership in Multicultural Settings”, The School of Government University of Bahcesehir, Istanbul, Turkey in partnership with the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program.
- (2000) “Leadership in Puerto Rico: Nationalism and the United States”, The United Nations University Leadership Academy, Amman, Jordan. The Leadership Academy (UNU/ILA), based in Amman, Jordan, is devoted to the promotion and training of potential leaders on issues of global concern. The Academy is part of the United Nations University, headquartered in Tokyo, which supports a global network of scholars with the objective of helping to solve the pressing global problems of human survival, economic-social development and welfare.
Dr. Correa Marquez, is a senior business and legal consultant, advising corporate clients in complex commercial negotiations, natural disaster claims, business law matters, banking, project development, competitiveness, government relations, real estate transactions, and restructuring, bankruptcy, and insolvency issues. Throughout his 30 year career, Dr. Correa Marquez has represented United States, Puerto Rico and international corporate clients such as:
- Policy holders in natural disaster construction insurance claims
- Santander-Rio Mar Properties, In (hotel development).
- Citibank, NA (Commercial Banking Group)
- The First National Bank of Boston, NA
- Government Development Bank for the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico (commercial litigation and foreclosures)
- Bristol Babcock, UK (process control and technology litigation)
- and for twenty five (25) years as an Attorney Advisor with the Puerto Rico Automobile Dealers Association of Puerto Rico (government relations, excise-sales tax issues, and regulatory matters)
Certifications & Memberships
Admitted to The United States District Court for the District of Puerto Rico 1980 |The United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit 1981. Admitted to the Bar in 1980.
Local & International Projects:
Consultant to Eng. Javier Quintana, Ph.D., former Executive Director of the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (PREPA), for FY 2016-2017, related to the company’s financial and debt restructuring process in excess of 9 billion dollars. Mr. Correa Marquez provided legal advice and support to ALIX PARTNERS, the company’s Restructuring Officer, and to PREPA’s legal counsel SIDLEY AUSTING, LLP. Provided advice to Citibank, N.A. Puerto Rico Branch, in the development of a manufacturing plant financed under the Caribbean Basin Initiative, in the Island of Dominica, East Caribbean.
Assisted the Government Development Bank for Puerto Rico in the acquisition process of a 20 million dollar industrial agriculture project, located in Santa Isabel, Puerto Rico.
Represented Santander Bank Trust LTD, Bahamas, in negotiations with the Tishman Group, a leading New York real estate developer for the establishment of the Rio Mar Resort Hotel, a 100 million dollar project located in Rio Grande, Puerto Rico.
Represented Bristol Babcock, headquartered in Watertown Conn., in a tort claim filed by the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority in a complex litigation involving the development, installation and commissioning of the digital control system of the Aguirre Power Plant, located at Guayama, Puerto Rico.Represented a leading technology contractor (flow computers and distributed process controllers), in a complex tort litigation filed by the Puerto Rico Aqueduct and Sewer Authority, related to the explosion of the North Coast Super Aqueduct Project, at Arecibo, Puerto Rico.
Advised Grupo Cobra in the company’s RFQ process for a PPP bid, related to a contract to reduce non-revenue water levels experienced by the Puerto Rico Aqueduct and Sewer Authority.
Principal 2006 – Present
Modern Art Foundation, Inc. a non-profit entity organized under the Law of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and authorized to provide public enlightenment and education in matters important to the arts under license #48083.
Consultant 2011 – 2017
MAF Investments, Corp., a corporate entity organized under the Laws of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and duly authorized by the Commissioner of Financial Institutions of Puerto Rico to provide financial consulting services under license #IF-2016-459.
Law Firm Of-Counsel 2010 – 2012 Correa Collazo & Herrero, PSC San Juan, Puerto Rico
Law Firm Partner 1981-2009 Correa Márquez & Valderas, PSC San Juan, Puerto Rico
Practice areas included: excise and sales tax issues, government regulations, notarial work, real estate, commercial litigation and project development.