- Juris Doctor University of Puerto Rico School of Law
- Advance Studies Diploma in International Law Universidad Complutense de Madrid
- B.A., University of Puerto Rico, Humanities Faculty, concentrations on literature, philosophy and history.
- Puerto Rico
Wilma is currently a litigator in Weisbrod Matteis & Copley’s San Juan office fighting against insurance companies committing systemic fraud on Hurricane María commercial claims.
Wilma worked in private practice civil law before the Puerto Rico Courts, the United District Court for the District of Puerto Rico. Appellate practice before the Courts of Appeals in Puerto Rico and the United States First Circuit Court of Appeals where she provided legal counsel and litigation in the following areas: Employment Law, (discrimination based on sex, gender, sexual harassment, age, disability, race, national origin, political ideas; unlawful dismissal); Civil and Constitutional Rights, Contractual law, Family law, Guardianships, Damages, Administrative Law, General Civil litigation.
Wilma was previously a Senior Staff Attorney in the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and in 2003 was an Assistant Professor of History in Centro de Estudios Avanzados del Caribe, lecturing on the History of the Case of Puerto Rico before the United Nations.
From 1989 through 2004, Wilma was an Adjunct Professor at the University of Puerto Rico, Social Sciences Faculty where she lectured a course on United States and Puerto Rico’s Constitutional History.
Previously, Wilma was a Staff Attorney at the Legal Services Corporation of Puerto Rico where she practiced General civil litigation, Family Law, Civil and Constitutional Law.
From 1980-1985, Wilma was Executive Director at the Puerto Rico Center for Research assigned to the United Nations Office of Information on Puerto Rico’s Right to Self-determination. There, Wilma focused on the coordination of diplomatic lobbying efforts before the United Nations Organization.
Wilma was also an Adjunct Professor at the City University of New York (CUNY): Puerto Rican Studies Program lecturing courses on History of Puerto Rico and an Adjunct Professor at Brooklyn College: Puerto Rican Studies Program lecturing courses on History and Economy of Puerto Rico and coursed on the Administration of Justice for Puerto Rican Communities.
Wilma was also a lecturer to United Bronx Parents lecturing courses on History of Puerto Rico for adults of the Puerto Rican community of Bronx (Ad Honorem).
1979-1980:Community Services Administration. Director of Fuel Assistant Program for heating expenses of low-income communities in the State of New York.
1977-1979: Gutierrez & Reverón: Private practice conducting general civil litigation and notary practice.
- 1989 to date Admitted to practice of the legal profession before the United Sates District Court for the District of Puerto Rico and the United States First Circuit Court of Appeals.
- 1977 to date Admitted to practice legal profession before Puerto Rico’s Courts.
Membership in Committees and Professional Organizations:
- 2007 al 2010 Member Board of Directors Puerto Rico Legal Services
- 2002 to 2020 Member Commission on Development of Puerto Rico’s Constitutional Status of Puerto Rico Bar Association
- 2000 – 2002: First Vice – President Puerto Rico Bar Association
- 1998-2000: President, Commission of Human and Constitutional Rights, Puerto Rico Bar Association
- 1995 -1996 Member Board of Directors Puerto Rico Legal Services
- 1988-1998: Member Commission on Development of Puerto Rico’s Constitutional Status of Puerto Rico Bar Association
- 1993-1994 Member Board of Directors Casa Protegida Julia de Burgos
- 1990: Member of Examining Board of the Supreme Court of Puerto Rico
- 1986–1988 President Commission of Natural Resources of the Puerto Rico Bar Association
- 1977 to date: Member Puerto Rico Bar Association
- “La Violación de los Derechos Humanos de los Desobedientes Civiles en Vieques” – Ponencia presentada ante la Comisión Internacional, 24 de septiembre de 2001
- “El Difícil y Delicado Balance entre los Derechos de los Acusados y la Libertad de Prensa” – Ponencia presentada en el Congreso de Derechos Civiles, 16 de febrero de 2001, Gurabo, Puerto Rico Pendiente de Publicación en la Revista de la Comisión de Derechos Civiles
- Los Derechos Civiles en los Tiempos de Guerra” – Ponencia presentada en Asamblea de Labor Law Practitioners en 2002
- “Justice in Constitucional Texts in the Caribbean Territorios: the Case of Puerto Rico” – Ponencia presentada en el Saint Maarten Book Fair el 1ro de junio de 2007
- Ponencia Ante El Relator Especial Sobre Racismo De La ONU – 4 de junio de 2008
- Thinking Out Of The Un Narrow Box –Decolonization In The Caribbean, Presentation at the 50/50 UCCI/UWI CONFERENCE – 28/3/2013
- Assessing The Role Of The UN In The Decolonization Of The Caribbean – 29/4/2013