Stephen A. Weisbrod(202) 499-7909 firstname.lastname@example.org Download vCard
- J.D., Harvard Law School (1991)
- B.A., University of Michigan (1987)
- Faculty, Georgetown University Law Center National Institute of Trial Advocacy
- Arbitrator, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (formerly NASD)
- District of Columbia
- New York
Selected Publications/ Presentations
- Panelist, Perrin Conferences: “Supply Chain Interruptions and Diminished Product Quality: Practical and Legal Issues Raised by the Covid-19 Pandemic” June 17, 2020 (with Joshua Katz and Andrew Lamb).
- Tools and Procedures to Manage Cybersecurity Risk and Reduce SEC Violations, Corporate Counsel Hedge Fund General Counsel and Compliance Officer Summit, October 5, 2017
- Crisis Management and Crisis Recovery in the Era of the 24-Hour News Cycle, Corporate Counsel General Counsel Conference, September 27, 2017
- Turning the Legal Department into a Profit Center, ALM In-House Innovates SuperConference, June 21, 2017
- Regulation of the National Flood Insurance Program, New York City Bar Association, Current Issues in Insurance Regulation, April 21, 2017
- Ethical Issues Confronting In-House and Outside Counsel During a Product Recall Crisis, GMA Legal Conference, February 28, 2017
- Managing Global Litigation, ALM In-House Innovates SuperConference, November 15, 2016
- Legal Ethics for Hedge Fund Counsel During and After a Crisis, Corporate Counsel Corporate Counsel Hedge Fund General Counsel and Compliance Officer Summit, September 29, 2016
- Current Issues in D&O Liability and Insurance: Special Considerations in D&O Claims Handling, New York City Bar Association, May 11, 2016
- Hot Topics Involving Food Industry Suppliers, GMA Legal Conference, February 25, 2016
- Alternative Fee Arrangements and the Relationship Between Companies and Their Outside Counsel, GMA Litigation Conference, February 25, 2015
- Current Developments in Consumer Health Law, New York City Bar Association, January 9, 2015
- Challenging Illegal Insurance Industry Practices Aimed at Older Adults, National Consumer Law Center Consumer Rights Litigation Conference, November 8, 2014
- Food Companies as Plaintiffs: Litigating and Resolving Claims against Suppliers, Contractors, and Insurers, GMA Litigation Conference, February 25-27, 2014
- Ethical Issues Confronting Insurers, Policyholders and Counsel in Complex Financial and Securities Litigation, New York City Bar Association, January 24, 2014
- Early Case Evaluation for Corporate Plaintiffs, ACI National Forum on Controlling Litigation Costs, October 23, 2013
- Professional Liability, Legal Ethics and Risk Management: Preventing, Defending and Obtaining Insurance for Claims against Law Firms, New York City Bar Association, January 31, 2013
- Ethical Issues Confronting Insurers, Policyholders and Counsel In Food, Drug and Medical Device Litigation, HB Litigation Conferences Food, Drug and Medical Device Litigation Forum, April 24, 2012
- Joint Defenses, Common Interests, and Adverse Interests among Insurers, Policyholders, and Claimants, New York City Bar Association, February 16, 2012 (with J. Katz)
- Twenty-Five Questions that Law Firms Should Ask about Their Malpractice Insurance, New York City Bar Association, March 1, 2011
- Insurance Strategies for Investment Managers and Their Lawyers, The Investment Lawyer, February 2007 (co-author with J. Heintz and J. Lavella)
- What Every White Collar Defense Attorney Should Know About Insurance, The Champion, May 2006 (co-author with J. Heintz and J. Lavella)
- Parallel Criminal, Regulatory, and Bankruptcy
Stephen Weisbrod is a founding partner of Weisbrod Matteis & Copley PLLC, a firm recently named by The National Law Journal to its “Litigation Boutiques Hotlist.” He primarily practices out of the firm’s Washington and Ft. Lauderdale offices.
An experienced trial lawyer, Mr. Weisbrod represents clients in financial and commercial disputes, judgment enforcement and bankruptcy matters, and criminal cases. Most of his clients are businesses and individuals seeking payment from insurers, banks, investment managers, professionals, suppliers, or other parties liable for breach of contract, fraud or some other kind of misconduct. His clients include corporations, creditors’ committees, post-bankruptcy litigation trusts, and other individuals and entities.
Mr. Weisbrod’s insurance-related representations have included:
- Representing major private equity firms and affiliated individuals seeking coverage for claims alleging fraud, breaches of duty, negligence and antitrust violations.
- Representing food companies in insurance recovery efforts relating to property damage and contamination of processed food products.
- Representing a construction company on insurance and indemnification issues arising out of the partial collapse of a building and related business interruptions.
- Representing the lead plaintiffs in a certified national class action against a life insurer accused of violating the “vanishing premium” clause of its policies and imposing improper charges.
- Representing hedge funds that invested in life insurance policies in claims against insurers, other funds, other investors, and professionals.
- Representing a single mother with advanced-stage cancer whose life insurance was canceled improperly.
- Representing an Assistant United States Attorney seeking health insurance for her same-sex spouse under the U.S. Department of Justice health benefits program.
Some of Mr. Weisbrod’s other commercial and financial litigation representations have included:
- Enforcing judgments against foreign consumer products importers, aerospace companies, and tire manufacturers, including in garnishment proceedings, alter-ego litigation, and fraudulent transfer litigation.
- Representing a private equity firm in breach-of- duty and fraud claims against a former portfolio company and its officers.
- Representing a post-bankruptcy litigation trust in fraudulent transfer litigation involving the sale of a hospital.
- Representing consumer product and food companies in claims against suppliers, vendors and equipment makers.
- Representing the official committee of borrowers in a chapter 11 case filed by one of the country’s largest home mortgage originators.
- Representing a plaintiff investment advisor in securities litigation against foreign broker-dealers relating to their sale of commercial paper on which the issuer defaulted.
Mr. Weisbrod’s criminal defense representations have included:
- Representing an accountant in a criminal tax fraud case.
- Representing a lending officer in a criminal bankruptcy fraud case.
- Representing a teenager accused of gang-related first-degree murder.
Mr. Weisbrod has tried more than 30 cases in seven states and the District of Columbia. His clients at trial have included a defendant accused of shooting a rival gang member and attempting to kill a police officer (the defendant was acquitted), a trustee who sought to rescind a secondary market life insurance transaction (the transaction was rescinded), and an asset manager seeking to recover more than $57 million that it lost when a highly rated Canadian insurance company defaulted on its commercial paper (the case settled before closing arguments).
Mr. Weisbrod has written and lectured extensively on insurance and financial litigation. He has been invited to speak at the ALM In-House Innovates SuperConference, the American Bankruptcy Institute, the American Bar Association Business Law Section, the American Conference Institute, the Consumer Rights Litigation Conference of the National Consumer Law Center, the Grocery Manufacturers Association, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the New York City Bar Association, and elsewhere.
Before entering private practice, Mr. Weisbrod served as law clerk to Justice Alan B. Handler of the New Jersey Supreme Court and Chief Judge James B. Moran of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. Mr. Weisbrod previously was a partner at another boutique litigation firm based in Washington, D.C.