- J.D., Tulane University Law School (2006)
- Harvard Law School (visiting student) (Fall 2005)
- B.A., George Washington University, cum laude (2002)
- District of Columbia
- Joint Defenses, Common Interests, and Adverse Interests among Insurers, Policyholders, and Claimants, New York City Bar Association, January 2013 (with S. Weisbrod)
- Twenty-Five Questions that Law Firms Should Ask about Their Malpractice Insurance, New York City Bar Association, July 2012 (with S. Weisbrod)
« Back to Our Team
Joshua B. Katz
Joshua Katz advises corporate policyholders, including startup companies, on a variety of issues related to insurance coverage and strategic risk management. He assists his corporate clients in evaluating their existing insurance portfolios, procuring industry specific coverage, and recovering from insurers when significant losses occur. Mr. Katz has represented corporate and other policyholders with respect to a wide range of matters, including matters involving cyber liability, professional liability, and directors and officers liability. Mr. Katz has particular experience with London Market companies, and has been deeply involved with UK solvent and insolvent schemes of arrangement.
Mr. Katz's recent and current insurance-related representations have included:
- Representing international food companies in insurance recovery efforts relating to claims and losses arising out of property damage incidents and incidents involving contamination of processed food products.
- Advising an internet advertising company in the procurement of industry specific insurance, including cyber liability and privacy coverage
- Representing a technology startup in an insurance coverage dispute relating to allegations of privacy violations
- Conducting insurance coverage audits for corporate clients, including technology startup companies and international law firms
- Representing an international law firm in insurance coverage disputes relating to lawsuits and investigations involving allegations of malpractice and fraud
- Representing the lead plaintiffs in a certified national class action against a major life insurer accused of charging premiums in violation of the "vanishing premium" clause of its policies and imposing improper expense charges and cost-of-insurance deductions
- Representing hedge funds that invested in life insurance settlements on claims against insurers, other funds, other investors, and various professionals.
- Representing corporate policyholders, including corporations in the automotive and industrial manufacturing industries, secure insurance coverage for mass tort and other significant claims
- Serving as special insurance counsel to the claimants' committee in a bankruptcy case filed by a manufacturer of asbestos-containing products
- Recovering significant insurance proceeds from insolvent, financially troubled and run-off insurers in the United States and abroad pursuant to solvent and insolvent schemes of arrangement
Josh also has an active pro bono practice, including:
- Helping numerous Mississippi and Louisiana homeowners and small businesses recover from their insurers following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita
- Advising non-profit organizations regarding the placement of insurance coverage
- Drafting testimony presented to The United States House Financial Services Committee Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations on February 28, 2007 on behalf of aggrieved policyholders and public interest organizations in the Gulf Region outlining insurance-related problems following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita
- Drafting an insurance manual for the Washington Legal Clinic for the Homeless that discusses insurance-related issues involving natural and man-made disasters
Mr. Katz previously was an associate at a litigation boutique based in Washington, D.C. While in law school, Mr. Katz clerked for Judge Jay Zainey of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana and Judge Dennis Brennan of the District Court for Worcester, Massachusetts.